Water Rails arrive in Regent's Park

Water Rail

We recently carried out some work in the Rail Ditch hoping to make it more attractive for them. I oversaw work to remove some types of grass and remove a small raised bank that has harbored Rats in previous winters. There had been no sightings before this work commenced but the day after the digger moved off site 2 birds were seen. Then 3 days later another bird was seen from the gap in the hedge feeding in the Wetland Pen. The weather then took a turn for the worst, getting much colder and the temperature dropping to just 0 degrees, with some of the puddles in the area freezing over. I thought it might be worth while putting out the Rail Feeding Station yesterday 30th November. Imagine my surprise when I observed a bird feeding from it this morning. The feeder is nearer the bridge than in previous years to allow the public the chance to see this secretive species.






 








Comments

dfaulder said…
Well done.

Thanks, we do try our best.
Cal said…
It's fantastic, I saw my first water rail from the Hanover bridge this afternoon! Thank you!