Recent highlights in Regent's Park

Regent's Park the last 5 days 12th to 17th December

The cold spell of the previous 2 days soon improved. It had caused a several hundred Redwings to head west a few of these decided the park had what they required so they dropped down and roamed the park feeding on cotoneaster berries. They eventually found the berries in my garden on Saturday, this meant my wife's scaring off of Wood Pigeons was a job well done. Duck numbers on the lake also increased, the scarcer species present were 3 Wigeon, 3 Teal, 14 Gadwall, 1m Shelduck and 41 Red crested Pochards. On the passerine front 4 Blackcaps (3m 1f) were found feeding by the mound and on Saturday 1f Firecrest was still in area 41 and today another was found on the Inner Circle behind the Open Air Theatre. 
The star of the last week and one that caused a bit of a panic for DJ was a Golden Plover. I picked it up really high in the sky and if I hadn't been wearing my specs I doubt I would have seen it, as last Monday at 7.50am wasn't particularly bright. DJ has a similar problem but chooses not to wear his specs at work, so when I was pointing in the direction of the northerly flying plover he couldn't see it. "It's at 10.00 o'clock of the Hornbeam" no he couldn't see it "it's at 12 o'clock now" still no "it's heading towards the plane, it's at 12.00 o'clock  now". Then he had a stroke of luck it turned around and headed back and he was on to it. Thank goodness for that he'd have been gutted, it was his first park bird.





































Comments