15th April

Regent’s Park

A good day in the park with two goodies.

Meadow Pipit: one flew north.

Whinchat: a male was briefly in the old golf and tennis school enclosure (area 39) this morning.

Sedge Warbler: yesterdays bird was still present in area 41.

Willow Warbler: 9 birds present.

Firecrest: I was lucky to bump into a singing male near the ticket office to the Open Air Theatre, area 19.

DSC_1944

DSC_1929

DSC_1848

DSC_1406

The new pair in area 32.

DSC_1433

DSC_1434

DSC_1493

There were strange going on’s in the nest with one chick this morning. It looked as if a male was trying to take over the nest, with the youngster trying to defend himself while what might have been his dad looked on. The dad would occasionally make half-hearted attempts to defend the chick, who can barely stand. When I looked an hour later the chick had been pushed to an area just outside the nest.

DSC_1501

DSC_1508

DSC_1520

DSC_1523

DSC_1530

DSC_1743

This has got to be the most attractive Heron I have ever seen.

DSC_1752

Below are some ducks on colourful stretches of the lake.

DSC_1481

DSC_1655

DSC_1659-001

DSC_1776

DSC_1667

DSC_1762

DSC_1420

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Tony, I've spoken to you a couple of times over the years in Regents Park when I was with my young son who has been desperate to spot a sparrowhawk. We think we may have spotted one couple weeks ago...we got a picture plus 2 other snaps of another pair of birds near the Holme ..could we send them to you to let us know what they are ?
Hi Ben, yes feel free to send me your photos. I did post one the other day of a Sparrowhawk that was taken above the Holme. ( my email is arduck@gmail.com )